Clothing for hunting is an important element of the equipment of a serious hunter. Modern clothing for hunting should provide the hunter comfort, well keep warm, keep the body dry hunter at serious physical exertion. Approach the choice of hunting clothes to need to be serious because there are no small things on the hunt. Let’s try to understand this issue in more detail.
Adherents of the most popular types of outdoor activities – hunting, fishing, and tourism, like no other need special clothes, as much as possible corresponding to their favorite pastime. Such clothing should protect against cold, wind, rain and fully correspond to the season of use.
Clothing requirements for hunting
To ensure that hunting clothes meet the needs of the hunter, it is subject to special requirements:
- Material – the main requirement for the material from which clothes are made for hunting is its quietness. A hunter moving both through the forest and in the open space should not be heard by his future prey. Hunting often goes through difficult weather conditions, so the material from which the clothes for hunting should be waterproof and not pout. Only such materials can reliably protect the hunter from rain and wind.
- Coloring – camouflage, of different colors, is the main color of clothing for hunting. In addition to camouflage colors, hunting clothes are often seen from the fabrics of protective colors: olive, gray, brown, khaki, gray-green, and others. The main requirement for coloring clothes for hunting is its correspondence to the area’s color where hunting will take place. It will be green shades in the woods, and in the steppe zone, it will be yellowish shades.
- Comfort in motion – clothing for hunting should have a loose enough cut not to constrain the hunter’s movement, so it should be designed specially.
- Temperature comfort – hunting clothes should warm the hunter in the cold season and hot weather, effectively take the heat away from the body and cool the hunter.
- Details and fittings – clothing for hunting should be thought out in the smallest detail: comfortable zippers, a large number of pockets, buttoned and located in the right places, Velcro, lining, everything should be done hunter was comfortable to use it.
Three layers of modern hunting clothing
Modern hunting clothing consists of three layers, each of which performs its own function: as a rule, the bottom clothing of the hunter – thermal underwear, the middle layer – clothing from fleece fabric, outer clothing and trousers – clothes from membrane fabric or clothes from fleece with a membrane.
The thermal ability for hunting
The selection of clothing for hunting begins with the correct selection of a layer of clothing that directly contacts the hunter’s body with thermal underwear. Thermal underwear can be made from various materials: wool, cotton, bamboo, algae, a variety of polymers.
Thermal underwear faces two important tasks. It should keep the heat coming from the hunter’s body and at the same time take away the evaporation coming from the human body as much as possible.
Clothes in themselves do not warm a person. It only keeps the heat coming from the human body. The more air in the clothes, the better it retains heat—the best time to keep the wool warm, then cotton, and only then synthetics.
But any clothes keep warm only until it does not get wet. As soon as the wool is soaked with moisture, it ceases to keep warm, and vice versa begins to take it away, because of which the person freezes.
To solve the problem of creating a replacement for wool and ultra-thin microfibers were created from synthetic polymers.
Unlike wool and cotton, synthetic polymers such as polyester, acrylic, and polypropylene do not absorb moisture, so clothing made of such material does not absorb water and pass it through itself. Moisture is either evaporated and blown away by the wind or absorbed into the top layer of clothing and then also comes out.
Depending on the structure of the tissue, there are three types of thermal underwear:
- Single-layer – consists of one layer, can be made of both natural and synthetic fabrics, suitable for not too low temperatures.
- Two-layer – consists of two layers, each of which has its own special properties, also called hybrid, optimally suitable for low temperatures
- Three-layer – in its structure identical to two-layer the mobellum, but additionally has a third lower layer, which has an anti-allergenic property.
Various natural and synthetic materials are used for the production of thermal underwear:
- Wool – a natural material, very well retains heat, but very strongly absorbs moisture, getting wet for a very long time dries, in contact with the body can cause irritation and allergies
- Cotton is a natural material, retains heat worse than wool, absorbs moisture strongly, is pleasantly felt on the body.
- Polyester – synthetic material, absorbs little moisture, well retains heat, inexpensive and unpretentious in care.
- Polypropylene – synthetic material, the best material for producing thermal underwear, does not absorb moisture, retains heat well.
- Bamboo and eucalyptus – natural materials, fibers are added to manufacture fabrics, give strength, do not cause allergies, have an antibacterial effect.
Thermal beables are selected depending on the type of physical activity of the hunter:
- Minimum activity – calm movement at low temperature, without heavy sweating, does not require immediate moisture removal.
- High activity – active movement and physical work at sub-zero temperatures, causing severe sweating.
- Mixed activity – constant alternation of active actions that cause sweating, and rest conditions
Once the hunter has decided on the type of physical activity and the temperature of the ambient air at which he will wear thermal underwear, you can choose the material suitable for such requirements thermal underwear: maximum sweat, poor heat preservation – light thermal underwear, synthetics, single-layer.
Maximum sweat, average heat preservation – single-layer or two-layer synthetic with micro-brush. Maximum sweat drain, maximum heat preservation – two-layer or three-layer, synthetic plush fleece.
Medium sweat drain, average heat preservation – single-layer or two-layer, synthetics at least 40%, plus wool, viscose, or cotton with a micro-part. Medium heat drain, maximum heat preservation – two or three-layer, synthetics at least 40%, plus wool, viscose, or cotton in the form of fleece.
For thermal underwear to cope with its functions, it must be properly cared for. Read the manufacturer’s recommendations on the label and packaging, follow these rules when caring for the product. Wash the thermal underwear as often as possible. The dirty thermal underwear clogged micropores and ceases to warm and properly divert moisture. If the hunt is several days, bring an additional set of thermal underwear. To prevent thermal underwear from smelling, use the maximum allowed temperature when washing. Do not use air conditioning when washing, and do not iron it.
Fleece layer of clothing for hunting
For the bottom layer of clothing for hunting – thermal underwear, correctly performed its functions, the clothes put on top of it must also be functional. It must take moisture from the top of the underwear and carry it to the outer, last layer of clothing, from which the evaporation into the environment.
If the clothes, dressed on top of thermal underwear, do not let moisture through themselves, it is absorbed into these clothes, and the person begins to freeze.
The best clothing option, which is recommended to wear on top of thermal underwear, is clothing from fleece. Fleece fabrics have made a real revolution in clothes for hunting. They have unique properties. They remove moisture from the body but do not miss raindrops, dew, condensate. Malden Mills launched its first fleece clothing in 1979 under the Polartec brand. The name of the fabric comes from the English word “fleece,” which translates as sheep’s wool. The fleece is made from synthetic polyester material, to which several other fibers, such as Lycra, can be added to gain additional properties. In the production of fleece fabric, the fabric is rolled with special rollers covered with miniature hooks, which create air pores inside the fabric, thanks to which, fleece becomes very warm.
Fleece fabric can be used to make clothes for hunting both in itself and in pair with a special membrane fabric. The membrane fleece is used to produce top hunting clothes, suits, and overalls.
Fleece fabrics vary in density: 100, 200, 300 g/m2. The greater the density of fleece, the warmer the clothes sewn from it. For thin models of hunting clothing, a one-sided fleece is used for warmer products – double-sided fleece.
Flis warms perfectly, breathes well, dries very quickly after getting wet, does not cause allergic reactions.
Fleece fabrics do not require special conditions of care. To wash them better in water, the temperature of which is not higher than 40 degrees. Flees can be washed with machine washing. Special care is required clothing for hunting sewn from fleece with a membrane, be sure to carefully examine the labels on which the conditions of washing such things.
The top layer of clothing for hunting
Modern outerwear for hunting is made of membrane fabrics. The membrane fabric is called a special kind of fabric. It has a special structure and has high water repellent and wind protection properties while flowing through itself water vapor released by the human body.
The membrane fabric consists of several layers, each of which performs its own function, the upper wear-resistant layer, the lower soft layer, several protective layers, and the membrane itself, located between them.
The world’s first membrane fabric was Gore-Tex fabric, which was developed for use in space. A patent-protected this tissue for many years, but other manufacturers released their membrane fabrics with similar properties after the patent expired.
Membrane fabrics have found wide use in clothing production for hunting, fishing, tourism, and other types of outdoor activities. The membrane tissues allow you to stay dry in the rain, and the tissue does not prevent the withdrawal of sweat from the body.
The membrane fabric is used in the upper layer of clothing for hunting, protecting the lower layers of clothing from getting wet. The membrane does not allow the hunter to get wet and brings the sweat out.
Membrane fabrics in their structure can be two-layer, three-layer, and 2.5-layer.
- Two-layer membrane fabric consists of the outer layer of the fabric on which the membrane is applied from the inside, and on top of the membrane, there is a lining that protects the membrane from clogging and mechanical damage.
- The three-layer membrane fabric consists of the fabric of the upper layer, the membrane, and the finely knitted mesh from the inside; all three layers are glued together by lamination technology. The mesh protects the membrane from clogging and damage.
- The 2.5-layer membrane fabric is a two-layer membrane fabric covered from the inside with a layer of protective coating in the form of pimples. It is the newest and most progressive type of membrane fabric.
The membranes that makeup membrane tissues come in three types:
- The non-combo maps of moisture evaporation get to the inside of the membrane, through diffusion, pass to its outer side and evaporate. The least capricious of membranes do not require careful care, durable.
- Pork membranes consist of microscopic pores, water droplets from the outer side of the membrane can not pass through it, and sweat in the form of steam, coming from the human body, freely passes through the membrane’s pores outwards. The disadvantage of psoric membranes is that they are easily damaged and lose their properties.
- The combined membrane is the most high-tech and expensive among membranes. The combined membrane consists of a tissue covered from the inside of a floor membrane, applied to a thin polyurethane membrane coating. The combined membrane combines all the advantages of both the path and the non-regular membranes, but it has no drawbacks.
High-quality clothing for hunting from membrane fabric should have pasted seams, so that moisture could not penetrate through the places of joints of different parts of clothing and the hunter remained dry.
Clothing for hunting from membrane fabric requires careful care. Membrane clothing can not be soaked, washed in the washing machine. Use conventional detergents, wring, ironing. You need to use special detergents for membrane tissues. Dry clothes from membrane fabric should be spread out, at room temperature, in a horizontal position. Keep such clothes in a straightened form, upright, in a fabric or plastic case.
Clothes for woodcock hunting on the traction in the spring
You don’t have to wear camouflaged hunting clothes to hunt woodcock on traction. The best option would be to wear single-layer thermal underwear to wear a thin fleece jacket and on top of the top hunting clothing, which can be both camouflaged and just protective color: brown, gray, dark green.
You can wear a hunting cap on your head, but since the weather in spring can be unpredictable, it will be better if you put in the pocket of your jacket or backpack a warm wool or fleece cap.
The optimal shoes for hunting woodcock in the spring will be hunting boots just below the knee, as in the spring in the forest, a lot of water, streams, and puddles, which you have to overcome on the way to the place of traction. On your feet, you should definitely wear thick warm socks.
Not superfluous will be on such a hunt thin gloves that will not let your hands freeze and will not prevent you from shooting.
Clothes for hunting in the spring
To hunt for the herring in the spring, the hunter is sure to need good quality camouflage. The color of camouflage should correspond to the color of the area where the hunt will be conducted. The camouflage should not rustle and should be warm enough.
The best option would be to wear a two-layer thermobelt under camouflage and put a fleece jacket on top.
On the head, you need to wear a warm woolen or fleece cap. It is desirable that it too was camouflaged colors.
On hand should be wearing warm gloves, which will warm hands and will not interfere with shooting.
The best shoes for hunting in the spring will be swamp boots or even a neoprene rabble jumpsuit. Thick warm socks are obligatory.
Clothing for duck hunting in autumn
At the beginning of the duck hunting season in most of our country is warm and dry weather, so the optimal clothes for this period will be a T-shirt with long sleeves (long-sleeves) camouflage colors under the colors of the area where hunting, the same trousers. The best choice of shoes will be swamp boots. You can wear a baseball cap with a long visor on your head.
Closer to the middle and end of the season is established colder and rainier weather. In such conditions, high-quality camouflage of membrane fabric is needed. The color of camouflage should be suitable for the conditions of the area where hunting is conducted. Under the camouflage, you can wear single-layer thermal underwear on the feet of swamp boots. The colder the weather, the warmer the duck hunter should be. Single-layer thermal underwear can be replaced with a two-layer, and under camouflage, you can wear a fleece jacket.
Clothing for hunting a hare in winter
Hunting for a hare in winter makes increased demands on clothing in which hunting is conducted. The hunt for the hare is conducted at negative temperatures and involves the high physical activity of the hunter.
The best choice of clothes for hunting hare will be camouflage from the membrane fabric of the colors of the snow-covered field. Under it, you need to wear single-layer or two-layer thermal underwear and a jacket made of fleece fabric.
On your feet, you can wear special winter hunting boots made of membrane material or warm boots made of foamed material.
On the head, you need to wear a warm woolen or fleece cap. It is desirable that it too was from camouflage with a mixture of white color.
On the hands should be wearing warm gloves, which will warm hands and not interfere with shooting, and on top of them, you can wear warm mittens, which can be quickly thrown off before shooting.