I see that to illuminate all the nuances associated with fishing on rivers. A single article will not be enough. To devote a whole treatise to this topic at the time.
- River fishing: the difference from fishing on water bodies
- The source of the river and the beginning of fishing
- Small roar
- Small river fish
- Medium rivers
- Fishing spots on the middle river
- Medium-river fish
- The Great River
- Large rivers
The fact is that the rivers on the globe are a great variety, and all of them are so different in their characteristics (and accordingly – the fishing process) that only an oral listing of all their types – on the terrain, size, climate zone, and other conditions – can take quite a long time.
Add to this a decent “or” of various fish in the river water inhabiting – catching each of them has its own features, including very ambiguous at different times of the year. It turns out that the treatise on river fishing will take several volumes and may not even fit on the library shelf.
Nevertheless, I will try to embrace the immense, at least for those watercourses that run through the European territory of the temperate belt of the Eastern Hemisphere. This article will tell in general terms about catching different fish on our rivers. The details will be devoted to the individual – special narratives. In simple terms, let’s consider this essay a starting point in the series of articles about fishing on rivers.
River fishing: the difference from fishing on water bodies
Catching on rivers from fishing in standing ponds differs not only by the current presence (which the fisherman can be both an assistant and a hindrance). The river dwellers also have slightly different habits, unlike their lake counterparts.
By the way – among the fish even there is a special group, called the scientific “prophylaxis” (from the Greek “ῥέος” – current, flow, and “φιλέω” – love) – they can always be found in the river, and very rarely – in the pond.
Therefore, river fishing from fishing in standing waters can also be different, although there are quite a few fish that are equally caught there and here.
In addition, on the river, there are new types of fishing spots, uncharacteristic for standing waters. All this encourages the fisherman to use a special tactic and apply special “river” gear.
Finally, the main difference of river fishing is that in terms of the volume of water, and therefore – by the number of fish, rivers – especially medium and large – noticeably overtake most lakes and reservoirs. Therefore, fishing on them is usually more interesting and successful than on reservoirs, and the fish comes across larger.
Well, small rivers – thanks to their hiddenness and inaccessibility – can give the fisherman so many impressions and extremes that just a little will not seem.
The source of the river and the beginning of fishing
In fact, all rivers begin with keys hitting from the ground. Small streams they run down from the elevated places, and in the fish plan is completely uninhabited. But as the water in them will increase, the slope will become more gentle, and in addition to rapids, there will be quiet and deepening – that’s when the first fish appears. Most often, the first in the watercourse is found the groovy and minnow-beauty.
Much less often, the company is a sub-signman ordinary (mostly in wild, under-visited taiga rivers). These species tolerate ice spring water well, and the size of the watercourse – its depth and width – they seem to be completely indifferent. Downstream these fish are joined by young Marius and brook trout.
But the fisherman, all the above shallowness is not interesting, so real fishing on the stream is possible from those places where the depths of about half a meter already begin.
Usually, there are half-meter holes by the time in the stream – it becomes a full-fledged river, even though it can still jump in some places and roll over in ordinary shoes. But in the muddy – especially those hidden in the coastal thickets – hiding a quite decent trout and Darius.
Preferred tackles, nozzles, and fishing spots
You can catch on a minimal set of gear in the smallest rivers, out of competition – a summer navy rod with a side nod. This progressive tackle has undeniable advantages over the classic fishing rod. First, there is no sinker and float on it – those superfluous elements that fish can scare off at a low depth. Secondly – it allows you to play the bait, and this – an additional attractive factor (by the way – there are even specialists who catch fish exclusively on the sea-nose). Thirdly, a nod to a snag, low-hanging branches, and any other places where the usual float gear can be “planted” before it can be really thrown. The only possible downside is some difficulty in imitating free-floating feed – this requires some skill.
However, where the depths are already approaching the meter, and there are no obstacles – you can fish and traditional fishing rod.
To increase the trickiness of the float gear, the sinker is best removed, and instead of a simple hook to use a nozzle.
As for the float – it should be as less visible for fish as possible, that is – to have a minimum size and correct coloration. Compact floatsadapted to fishing at low depths, painted from below in white, brown, and dark green, have shown themselves well. The classic goose feather, so adored by old-school fishermen, is also used, but some skill is needed in wiring (possible keel hooks for bottom soil). And in the villages, people do not bother at all and successfully use pieces of wine cork.
From nozzles on miniature rivers are used animals – this is explained by the species composition of ichthyofauna, plant nozzles will also work – but somewhat downstream (where Darius and trout come across other fish). On the hook or a morsel, plant a moth, a worm (best of all – red, dung, emitting at compression yellowish odorous mucus), maggot, bark beetle. Or – flies, grasshoppers, and other goats – carried in the coastal grass.
In general, you can use a variety of nozzles for such places, but the best – as the practice has shown – are found here – in the river. For example- a brook. It can be searched in the charged shallow water or upstream – where the river is still quite shallow and in the streams that flow into it. Another option is leeches.
Fish is not as stupid as it seems, so catching different lures should choose the right horizon of their feed. On those insects that usually float on the surface – it is necessary to catch in the upper layers of water. But worms and larvae are better to serve closer to the bottom. If everything is confused, the fish banal will consider the lure “spoiled” (!), and the chance of swearing simultaneously significantly reduces, if not at all, tends to zero.
A few lines should be given to the bait. In my opinion, on the smallest rivers – due to the cramped conditions and constant change of place by the fisherman, it is absolutely useless. Moreover – inadvertently feeding, you can fish and scare at all. Therefore, it is better to save the bait for watercourses in a larger way (it will be more detailed below – in the chapter on medium rivers).
Not only a floater or a seamer will find joy on small rivers, but also a spinning man. Here is the place for “ultralight” and its branches such as “micro-jig” and “promising.” Some enthusiasts even conceit on artificial flies with the smallest bombardment to catch, although this tackle requires some space – for casting and flying. On the smallest rivers, it often catches bushes. So is the whip.
In fishing on a small river, almost always, there is the following trend – the smaller the water flow, the more will have to change places, rounding each hole. This is true even for float and bottom fishing methods. And of course – the less depth and distance between the shores – the better the fisherman should disguise, and the quieter to behave during fishing.
If the river banks are folded soft, completely eroded soil, under them often formed small niches, especially – in places where the channel bends and the main jet comes close to the shore. Fish also like to hide in these recesses.
Among other places that are sure to pay attention – thickets of white-experienced, standing half a glass in the water. In them, even Harius does not hesitate to sit.
At first sight, rolls on the smallest rivers can look “fishless,” especially – in the height of summer when the water level is minimal. However, this does not mean that there is no point in fishing at all.
If there are places on the shallows where the depth at least reaches 20 centimeters – then the chance to meet here the same Darius is very high. And of course – behind the roll, where the speed of the current decreases, usually all decent fish and stands.
Small river fish
In addition to various and trout, small rivers are also found:
- Golovin. He is not shy about the stormy water and comes across even small rapids and a mighty current. Catch chublav in various ways, from catching “wire” – to various nozzles (both animals and vegetables) and ending with spinning. If the river’s width allows, then very mining will be a way of catching a boat.
- The Christmas tree. This fish prefers a little calmer: moderate current alternates with rolls and rapids, and the bottom is rocky pebble or sandy. The size of the spruce is small. Usually, it is caught on a fishing rod and whip and quite well dragged on the ultralight.
- It’s a roach. The meet begins where there are places not necessarily too deep but with thickets of aquatic vegetation. Usually, roaches are fished for a floating tackle or a summer seam; some enthusiasts manage to catch it ultralight or “promising.”
- It’s an ulcer. Like the Spruce – appears where there are still fast areas, but the bottom prefers soft – clay, worst. Catch it with a float rod, a don, spinning.
- We’re going to have to do this. It can rise in small rivers quite high, especially if the water is icy, spring. This fish is caught on a done tackle.
- The beetle. For her, it is not so much important the size of the watercourse as the presence of potential hunting ambushes – places where you can take cover and stand quietly, waiting for prey. Usually begins to meet in small rivers together with roach. They catch pike spinning.
- Perch. Meet begins about the same where roach or pike. Catch perch on float gear – on animals nozzles (best – worm), or spinning.
- Ersh. Fast current avoids, appears where on the river there are quiet flats and bays. Caught in the catch from the bottom.
- The bream. Prefers sufficient depth (about one and a half meters) and slow current. Coldwater avoids, so in spring, taiga rivers are not found. In small rivers usually found on flat areas – where there are all the necessary conditions, in foothills – only where there are quite deep flats, bays, and backwaters. In general, this fish is more attracted by medium and large rivers – there, and the feed base is better. Usually, the bream are caught by a floating gear or a donkey.
- Guster. It is similar to bream in the preferences and methods of fishing, often found with it, although probably even more heat-loving.
- Lak lake. As well as bream – loves a quiet current but can occur at lesser depths. He loves places where tree branches lean above the water. A light float rod is used in the fishing of this fish everywhere. However, the glue is quite possible to catch a squeamish tackle or a whip.
- The erekh. It is believed that he prefers to stay where there is enough space for “maneuvers,” so there was once a perception that he avoids small rivers. In fact, everything turned out to be exactly the opposite: the things enter the small rivers and rise on them quite high. However, his behavior in small watercourses fundamentally changes – it becomes “quieter than water, below the grass” and usually does not give itself up bursts. They catch vents on small rivers on wobblers and screws.
- Silver carp. It is found in a decent number in some rivers, preferring to stay in quiet places with a muddy bottom. Likes bays, backwaters, sleeves (well, and older women) usually come across float and bottom gear. However, this fish has adapted to the current in some places and has formed a special ecological form, which differs from the usual punishment of a more runnable physique. Such “river punishment” can come across even where there are rapids and rolls.
- Lin. Like karas – loves quiet, muddy places, but necessarily – with powerful thickets of water plants. They catch it similarly – on a float rod and a donkey, but it is much less common in fishers’ catches.
- Sazan (carp). Sazans and escaped from ponds carp in small rivers begin to meet where there are pits at least a meter and a half deep and areas with developed aquatic vegetation. Catch them on bottom and float gear – on overgrown shallow waters, where the fish in the daytime goes to feed.
- The time. Being a large river predator, he does not disdain small watercourses. Small rivers can rise quite high. The usual parking places of this fish – pits after rolls (on the rolls, taimen goes to feed in the morning and evening hours). Catch taimen on spinning – on the spinners and wobblers, as well as on the artificial mouse. However, the number of these fish has been decreasing recently, and in many regions, it is forbidden to catch.
In small rivers come across other species, such as plucking, sandman, top, fast, but they are usually not caught because of the small size of the fish data unless some of them may be needed by the fisherman live bait.
Fishing on a small river is one thing, on the middle river – quite another. But where do the first one end and the second one begins? One day our former editor-in-chief thought about it seriously, which resulted in the next essay. According to this story, geographers divide the rivers by size, particularly by the area of their catchment, but the fisherman does not say anything; it is easier to look at the distance between the banks. As for the minimum width, which should correspond to the end of the small river and the beginning of the middle – the opinions about it in the Internet and literature were divided (there were options of 100, 50, and 30 meters, which only added an extra gloom to the question).
I know one place in the middle reaches of Chusova, where she narrows down from 50 to 16 meters. Theoretically, there should be a powerful threshold with a bubbling current, but the river remains quiet and only slightly murmurs on a small rocky shoal. What is interesting – this place, in general, is quite small. Where does the decent volume of water that is observed upstream go? The mystery of this very excited my mind – as long as one autumn night, I did not wear the fermenters and did not walk with the lantern to the neighboring shore. I quickly overcame the middle of the riverbed on an almost smooth rocky bottom, and the water was barely above the knee. But suddenly, I saw something that almost left my hair on end. There was an underwater canyon in front of my boots, to the bottom of which the lantern beam could not reach. Now it became clear that a very decent depth compensates the small width of the river in this place.
Therefore, the width is not always possible to determine – a small river or “considerable.” What would it be like then?..
Best river tackle
There is such a tackle, called “ship”. The principle of action in it – like a flying snake, but everything happens not in three-dimensional airspace and on the two-dimensional plane of the water surface. The float, which has swimming “wings” – is fond of the force of the current, but thanks to the angle of the attack – goes not along the channel, and at an angle to the opposite bank, and pulls behind the leer with leashes, lures at the ends of which crawl on the surface of the water. During the mass departure of insects (and not only, by the way!), but this tackle also puts on both shoulder blades spinning in all its variations (including with a canopy), fly, and Wonka (!), not to mention afloat. Its advantage over other gears is a huge catchment area, limited only by the length of the wood blade on the coil. Ship – tackle clean for rivers, and I’m not afraid to call it the best for running water.
So, if all other gear can be fished literally from under the feet, then for the boat already, there is such a concept as “minimum catch distance.” Usually, it corresponds to the length of the line, at which the float is already working on the current, and on the water, surface came at least one leash. Conclusion: on miniature rivers fishing for a boat will be impossible. So why not make this tackle a kind of “measure” that determines the size of the river?
What distinguishes small rivers from the not small – version of “Turkish.”
My comrades and I came to the following: if the boat with the “standard” rig (5 leashes in 3 meters, 6 meters to the float) can be dissolved in the course at such a distance, the nearest leash the fisherman will be caught.and with enough room from the float to the opposite shore to drive it upstream and downstream – without fear of stranding – then such a river should be considered average. If the width and other parameters of the watercourse do not allow to carry out such a thing – then this is definitely a small river. It will require a more compact snap.
For my part, I want to add the following. In my opinion, the average rivers from small are also distinguished by the presence of the same pits with a decent depth, which wade certainly can not overcome.
Fishing spots on the middle river
The same up to specific places, then on the middle rivers are most interesting in terms of fishing:
- Rifts. Here there is a hilarious, here to feed come to the strongest predators – in the morning and evening hours. Surface methods and tackles work well on the rolls.
- Pit after rolls. Here usually piles a large fish – as quite “peaceful” and vacationers after the outings on the role of predators. You can catch both from the surface, and the wiring, as well as on bottom gear.
- Places next to the thickets of semi-aquatic and underwater grass. Especially good are those where there is a little-mal jet, bringing food. Many fish are caught here, for example – roach (including large), perch, and pike.
- Silences and swirls after various objects in the bed – like stones, snags, bridge supports, islets. Here likes to stand and guard the floating food of a variety of fish.
- Deep places near the shore, especially with branches of trees hanging over the water. Here, insects often fall into the water, delivered for lunch with glue, roach, chub, and Yaz. Here periodically carry out raids predators.
- The mouth of the tributaries, the places at the shore with the reverse current. The best places to catch a floating gear. You can catch everything here, though the little things will not break.
Tactics of fishing on medium rivers
The whole fishing process changes markedly on the rivers of the middle. If on a small river in the first place was the search for fish – so on the shores had to travel considerable distances, the middle river fishing is much more like such on the pond. Here you can successfully catch, sitting in one place, and in some places becomes a highly sought-after boat.